Recipe: Yellow Finn Potatoes w Garlic, Rosemary, Olive Oil
As part of a larger plan to encourage children to eat more local fruits and vegetables, Portland Public Schools has an innovative program that features classroom lessons around food that complement seasonal offerings from local growers in grade-school cafeterias. They also feature simple, make-at-home recipes from upscale local chef, Cory Schreiber, showing that great food need not be expensive.
Cory Schreiber on Roasted Yellow Finn Potatoes with Garlic, Rosemary, and Olive Oil
"When I first moved back to Oregon to open Wildwood, local potato offerings were for the most part limited to Yukon Golds, russets, sweet potatoes, and red potatoes. Since that time, many potato varieties have come onto the market, including fingerlings, bananas, and Yellow Finn. This recipe is uncomplicated and tasty. Yellow Finns are good for a quick roast because of their small size and buttery texture. Rosemary and garlic are a natural pairing that goes well with hearty meat dishes such as roasted loin of pork or leg of lamb."
- 3 pounds unpeeled Yellow Finn, Yukon Gold, fingerling, or red potatoes, scrubbed and halved
- 12 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a large bowl, combine the potatoes, garlic, rosemary, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- Place in a large roasting pan or in the bottom of a broiler pan and roast in the oven for 40 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring twice.
- Spoon onto a platter and serve.